- 2 cups walnuts
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Heart Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 F and oil cookie sheets (or use a pizza stone)
- Blend walnuts in food processor until ground into a fine meal. Add canola oil, and blend 2 to 3 minutes until mixture has the consistency of natural peanut butter, scraping down sides of food processor occasionally. Transfer to bowl.
- Whisk together sugar and ½ cup water in small saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. Pour sugar mixture over ground walnut butter, add vanilla extract, and stir until no lumps remain.
- Whisk together oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture. Cool 10 minutes. Fold in oats, then chocolate chips. I find this dough easier to deal with if I refrigerate it for 30 minutes before rolling it.
- Roll cookie dough into 2-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten cookies with your hand or the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in water.
- Bake until cookies begin to brown and tops look dry ~15-20 minutes.
- Cool 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cook completely.